Tuesday, June 26, 2007

New Orleans 2007

Whew, It's nice to be home. None the less, this was a really really good trip! It was actually the first trip in a long time that I wasn't dying to come home! I took a lot more pictures here than I did at camp of myself, so here we go...


We'll start out with my favorite thing about flying! I always get tomato juice when I fly! I love it! I don't know why, but I do...

When we got there it was POURING rain! I totally thought I was done with that at camp, but lo and behold, we all had to purchase ponchos!

This is Michelle, Shelly Costley, me and Kami at the Red Fish Grill, which was really really good! I ordered the Red Fish with a lemon butter sauce and I really liked it. Michelle and Kami ordered red fish as well, but it had mushrooms on the description and I hate mushrooms. None the less, I tried it and it was acutally really good!

On Wednesday we went to the Riverwalk that is a pier that follows the river. It was nice and I'm sure quite a happening place before the storm. At least I assume, because there wasn't a whole lot of action down there, but there were a few restraunts that were deserted. However, they do have a Riverwalk shopping center and the entryway to that is what is in the background.

A little later we went on a Hurricane Katrina tour that took us around New Orleans and the surrounding areas so that we could see the areas that were effected. It was kind of sad to see all the houses that are still deserted today. Other than this tour we stayed in the French Quarter, which was not really effected by the storm and wasn't really touched during the flooding. OUr tour guide said that the area that the french quarter was built on by the settlers who first settled there was the high ground. That's why they built there, however, mostly everything else is under sea level, and so when the canal walls broke, the water flooded those areas.

This is one of many houses that has been deserted. They are trying to sell, but there is a lot of work to do. You can kind of see the water lines along the house. Keep in mind that the water was 2-3 feet above those lines. Quite sad, it's such a cute house.

No comments: