Friday, January 19, 2007

Dental Hygiene

Okay,

So we've had two weeks of clinic and I thought it would be best to start blogging about it. Last week I cleaned two people and one was a 1b who was super healthy and the other was a class 2 that was sensitive to the Ultrasonic. So I thought, hey, what a good time to practice my skills with out the ultrasonic. One reason for this was that with the 1b, people don't really use the Ultrasonic, but I have been, so I thought I'd try it to cut back on my time....so didn't happen.

My 2 was bleeding a lot, and Instructor Allen, who is amazing, said I had a couple tissue tags. Yikes. But the one that really got me was my 1b. She had healthy tissue, and was a flossing queen. But she was bleeding a lot too. After the appt, I asked Instructor Allen why she was blleding so much and she said sometimes it happens w/ people (my pt was on her period) However, she noticed some tissue tags on her too, and we know that isn't good.

So after being super discouraged, she told me she'd watch me next time and she what I was doing so she could help me out.

So yesterday I had a 1b in the morning and she noticed a couple tags, but she watched me and gave me some pointers on how I can better adapt. She also recommended doing long controlled strokes, compared to little ones. That really helped! In the afternoon I had an elderly woman who had lost most of her posterior teeth, so we counted it for two quads of a three! Yes! But I tried the long strokes and that worked well. Her daughter brought her in b/c she is her main care giver and I went over OHI with her a lot. I told her she's got to make sure that her mother is getting back to her two molars on mand. L. There was a lot of plaque build up and her bone levels are REALLY low back there, although there is no mobility yet. I also tole her that her mom has a lot of debris in her mouth and that she would need to help her to make sure she was rinsing all of her mouth out.

All in all it was a good day. I need to remember to do long strokes and keep my whole blade adapted to the tooth until the very end of the stroke. I really like Instructor Allen. She's so way awesome! I'm so glad that she's willing to spend the time with me that I need in order to improve my skills while I'm still in school b/c if I don't learn it here, I don't know where I will.

4 comments:

Em said...

Int. Allen is so nice. Just wait for Perry and all his questions. Oh ya, I forgot about your race to find the fire extinguisher (totally spelled wrong)

Yoonjung said...

tissue tag? cut them off before scale check :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, well thanks for stopping by my blog, and thanks for letting me know you saw my frined. We used to live right by them, they are a great couple, wich a super cute baby! I hope you are doing making it through the semester, enjoy it while it lasts (as crazy as it sounds) you will really miss all the friends you have made when the day comes. Although the being out of the school part really helps ease the pain. I am proud to be colleague with all the great hygienist from weber state, they truly are some of the very best.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for coming in and being my pt. I really value your imput and you've taught me a lot. Let me know if you need me for boards. Also, if you have any pt's who you don't need, let me know will you. I need 2 class 2's and 1 class 3 and and 1b's if have any, Thanks. Skye.