Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Attention all hygienists

Ok, so I'm stressing. Rob and I always thought that we would use this time to save up a lot of money where we don't have kids and I can work full time, however, I'm stressing because this is not happening. I seriously love the dentist I'm with now, he's awesome, I believe in his work and yadda yadda yadda. However, he's not the most proactive when it comes to getting pts. See he sold his practice in Ogden to build a practice with his sister, who is already established. I've been there 3 months and he has yet to advertise. He keeps telling me it will be worth it if I'm in it for the long haul, which I am, for sure, but only if we get some advertising going. Seriously! I need the money (I know, how sad, but that's what I went to get a career for). I'm only getting about 1/2 the hours I would like to be getting. I'm supposed to be double booked right now, and I have an assistant, but I seriously feel like asking him to single book me until we have more pts. And I've also been thinking that I could just do all the stuff for advertising as long as he pays for it and pays me for the time. Do you think this is ok? Any suggestions? Please!

7 comments:

BreAnna said...

Hi, this is BreAnna, you probably don't know me, but I just happened upon your blog from Kami's. I am WSU '05, here is my two cents about your delima. I think it is absolutely ok for you to ask for single booking right now, unless he is compensating you for double booking (which should be a different pay scale than single booking). You are an employee, you should have set hours that you show up to work for, and get paid, you should not be at the mercy of his decisions about business. You should know each week how many hours you will be working and get paid for those hours, regardless if a patient is scheduled or not, or course you need to be in the office, but being paid none the less. I am sorry this is not working out, it can be so hard to iron out the kinks in this profession as far as your acutual job go, but I think you should ask for what you want often times you will get it (I know it is easier said than done, but that is my two cents :o)

Marion Jensen said...

I recommend stealing things from the office, and selling them on e-bay.

;)

Tatiana said...

We actually just fired a front office girl b/c she was stealing like mega big bucks from the lab we use...and so I think they are really keeping an eye out for that right now...maybe when things die down. ;) I guess I'll just have to stick it out until then. :)

Aimee said...

Wow Tottie, of course you should ask to be single booked. I've been hearing that a lot of dental offices are slow right now, including mine. I suspect that things will pick back up pretty soon. Let's hope more sooner than later, huh!

Hale yeah! said...

Why double book if you don't have the pt's.... it doesn't make sense. If he promised you certain hours when he hired you then thats how it should be. I'm sure that he would understand that you need more hours. Your feelings are totally legit!

Candice said...

This may be late b/c you posted this a week and a half ago, but I agree with everyone else. It's your job on the line too, and you should definitely ask to at least be single booked. That's so hard! I was kind of in that position with the first office I worked at. I always say do what's best for you and your family. :) We need to chat!

Mike and Joelle said...

Hey!! This is Joelle I just saw your blog. I was wondering if anyone was still blogging. EXCITING! Check out my blog and add me as your friend. Then we will be blog friends. Sorry about the situation I say go on vacation.