Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Requirements, a new term and some scary news

Well, yesterday in clinic was kinda crazy. At least me first patient. I pulled him off the resource list and when I called and asked if he was there he said "It depends..." I told him who I was and he agreed to come in. While I was explaining where to come he's yelling in the background "we need more vodka." I was thinking great, it's 10 in the morning and my patient needs more vodka. Well I spent most of the time while setting up thinking he probably has a hangover and he'll no-show. But he came. Actually quite a nice quy. He manages a bar, which would explain the vodka, but I didn't really believe him when he said he only drinks 4-5 beers/wk. Oh well, not my problem, exactly. He hadn't been to the DDS for 10+ years so we decided to do a FMX, which revealed he had radiographic calc. and the best part...NO RESTORATIONS!!!!!

So, I pose the question, how ethical is it to keep him for boards?

Anyhow, while we were waiting for an x-ray room, I started an OD and got to probe a little bit. While so doing, he asked me how his "dental forskin" was? It took me by surprise. I thought I heard him say forskin, so I asked again, and he said, my dental forskin, you know, by gums. Hello...WHO SAYS THAT, OR BETTER YET, WHO THINKS OF THEIR GUMS IN SUCH A WAY? None the less, I was able to get 14 PA's and 4 BW done. He'll be back next week, hopefully he'll leave his creative terms at home.

In the afternoon my grandpa came in. He's so great! I love him tons! He was a class 5, pretty healthy, but did have some boneloss, but mostly a lot of recession. I spaced that we needed a class 5 exam, otherwise I totally would've used him, because truthfully, it couldn't have gone better. I didn't think I'd get done in one appointment, but I did, and early too.

So now for some scary news...I went to the eye dr the other day to get an exam and get contacts. He found that I had a tear in my retina and wanted me to see a retinologist. So on Monday and went and saw him and he told me I needed to have surgery. They think the cause was trauma, but I don't know what I did. It's fairly recent in nature, but they are worried that if I trip and fall, or get in an accident or hit my head or anything that it will tear more and that is a risk they don't want to take because if it's bad enough I could loose my eyesight. SCARY!

So next Thursday I'm going in...I've never had surgery before, so I'm kinda scared. It's out-patient, so I won't be staying over night. The only thing is that it will make my vision blurry for 2wks-a month. That makes cleaning teeth a little hard, so I'll have to miss clinic for 2 weeks. I had to talk to Prof. Bossenberger before scheduling the surgery, and she was so great. I will admit I was a bit nervous, but she made me feel a lot better. I'll just need to make up maybe on some Wednesdays, or some time during Christmas break.

So that's the news thats happening in my life now...

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Good thing you're taking care of business with the eye sight! That's kinda important when it comes to cleaning teeth. Wow, 2 weeks out of clinic! I don't know if that's good or bad. I'll be sure to take care of our operatory for ya!!